Remparts de Rocamadour
Historic site and monument
Built in the name of courage and of faith, clinging to a cliff above the gorges of the Alzou, this village's mediaeval houses and semi-troglodytic chapels are framed in a picture postcard setting. A picture postcard, certainly, but one full of charm, charisma and spirituality.
Rocamadour is first and foremost an important centre of pilgrimage. From the 12th C. onwards, it attracted sovereigns and saints from all over Europe. As its success grew, the little settlement was gradually covered with religious buildings and fortifications. In the 15th C., as pilgrimages dropped out of fashion, Rocamadour gradually lapsed into oblivion. It was not until 1858 that important building works were begun to restore the sanctuaries. The Neo-Gothic "troubadour" style was then in vogue and left its imprint firmly on the village.